Without overstating, the Museum of the Old Princely Court is one of the most important archeological sites in Bucharest, regardless of the archeological findings stored or displayed at the National Museum of Romanian History. Unlike the latter, the Museum of the Old Princely Court is a compact open-air set which focuses on displaying the vestiges of the Old Court of Bucharest from where the document which first mentions the name of Bucharest was issued.

The origins of the court are registered in the mid 15th century, when the court was built by order to Vlad the Impaler. Understandably, the original architectural complex underwent major structural modifications in time. Thus, Mircea Ciobanul, Grigore Ghica, Gheorghe Duca, Şerban Cantacuzino, Constantin Brâncoveanu and Şerban Cantacuzino have all successively altered the previous structures, either by having the court enlarged or embellished with decorative elements.

At present, while located within the perimeter of the historical district of Bucharest (delineated by the celebrated Lipscani Street), the Museum of the Old Princely Court reveals aspects such as elements of the ancient water supply network of the city, the Turkish bath of the court, and, furthermore, constructions techniques employed in the course of history since the Middle Ages until the contemporary age.

The Museum of the Old Princely Court is, without a doubt, one of the most prized tourist sights in Bucharest. On top of its historical and scientific side, the museum also impresses by the fact it calls forth the atmosphere of the old Bucharest in a manner unparalleled by any other leisure or cultural opportunities one can search out in the city.

The archeological excavations started in 1953, and ever since, the patrimony of the museum was gradually enriched.

Name:
Museum of the Old Princely Court (Muzeul Curtea Veche)
Address:
25-31, Strada Franceză, Bucharest, Romania

25-31, Strada Franceză, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top