Founded in 1864 by order of Alexandru Ioan Cuza, the University of Bucharest is one of the most reputed and oldest higher education institutions in Romania. Given its status, setting up a museum able to trace the history of this institution and to bring it to the public interested in studying the origins and the development of the University of Bucharest was only a matter-of-course decision. Thus, the Museum of the University of Bucharest was founded about one century after the foundation of the University proper, in 1967, by order of Gheorghe Mihoc, who filled, back then, the position of Rector of the university.

The exhibits, which range from rare books, paintings and documents to pieces of furniture, medals and prints, are displayed such as to highlight the historical trajectory of the University of Bucharest, from its chronological rudiments as Princely Academy of Saint Sava in 1694 (during the reign of Constantin Brâncoveanu). However, the collections, amounting to some 2,500 exhibits, also aim to provide an overall picture of the Romanian education system.

The museum is set up within the building of the Faculty of Law.

Name:
Museum of the University of Bucharest (Muzeul Universităţii Bucureşti)
Address:
64, Blvd. Mihail Kogălniceanu, Bucharest, Romania

64, Blvd. Mihail Kogălniceanu, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top