The Cantacuzino Palace in Bucharest is at present integrated in the tourist circuit of the city by force of the fact it is home to the George Enescu National Museum, a function it has been performing since the foundation of the museum (back then, by title of memorial museum) in 1956. However, the palace is in itself a tourist sight not to be missed out.

Built between 1901 and 1903 in a splendid Art Nouveau style with French Baroque influences by order of the legendarily wealthy Gheorghe Grigore Cantacuzino (his wealth brought to this late 19th century public figure of Bucharest the nickname of “Nabob”) and by following the designs of Ioan Berindei, the palace strikes at present by its architectural and decorative qualities. The entrance is overtopped by a graceful sunshade and it is flanked on both sides by two stone lions. One of the most eye-catching elements inside the palace refers to the central hallway located on the ground floor, with its richly painted walls (works of N. Vermont and G.D. Mirea) and pink marble columns.

The outside of the building also stands out by the tastefully adorned roof (pegged out by lushly decorated skylights) and by the 1st floor small wrought iron balconies.

Name:
Cantacuzino Palace (Palatul Cantacuzino)
Address:
141, Calea Victoriei, Bucharest, Romania
Telephone:
0040 021 3181450
Fax:
0040 021 3129182
Email:
office@georgeenescu.ro
Website:
www.georgeenescu.ro

141, Calea Victoriei, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top