The Palace of the Chamber of Deputies was built in the first decade of the 20th century, more precisely between 1906 and 1908, by order of the Romanian state. Initially and, in fact, for most of its history (until 2010), the nowadays Palace of the Chamber of Deputies served as administrative building, seat of the Chamber of Deputies.

The juncture might strike by its strangeness, taking into account the Chamber of Deputies was placed within a patriarchal architectural complex, which also consisted of the Patriarchal Residence (Palace of the Patriarchate) and of the Patriarchal Cathedral (Metropolitan Church), on a domain (Dealul Mitropoliei, meaning Archbishopric Hill, later called Dealul Patriarhiei, that is, Patriarchy Hill) pertaining to the Archbishopric of Wallachia since the mid 17th century (during the reign of Constantin Şerban). But, in fact, the archbishop used to play a key role in the historical National Assembly of Wallachia (and later, of the united Wallachia and Moldavia), such as proved when voting for the unification of the two historical Romanian provinces (on January the 24th, 1859).

The structure was built by Dimitrie Maimarolu. It is overtopped by a cupola which, given it collapsed during the 1940 earthquake, it had to be restored. This intervention was the most substantial alteration the original building underwent in time.

Name:
Palace of the Chamber of Deputies (Palatul Camerei Deputaţilor)
Address:
25, Aleea Dealul Mitropoliei, Bucharest, Romania
Website:
www.patriarhia.ro

25, Aleea Dealul Mitropoliei, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top