The Senate Palace is one of the most important administrative buildings in Bucharest, its role on the political scene of Romania being on a par with the Parliament Palace, the Cotroceni Palace and the Victory Palace. An interesting historical reference to the Senate Palace is this is the edifice from where Nicolae Ceauşescu delivered his last speech to the people on the verge of the 1989 Revolution.

The Senate Palace was built between 1938 and 1941, despite the fact the project of erecting a structure of this kind dated back to 1912. The architects in charge with designing the building were Horia Creangă and Lucia Creangă, and they were commissioned by Octavian Goga to deal with this task in 1927, but their work, as said, was materialized only decades later under the supervision of Emil Prager. The palace was inaugurated in 1950, when it became the headquarters of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, under the communist regime, and then the seat of the Central Committee of the Romanian Communist Party (in 1958). The Romanian Senate was granted the building no sooner than 1989, but only for a relatively short period of time, until the institution moved to the Parliament Palace.

At present, the Senate Palace accommodates the headquarters of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, just as it did originally. The U-shaped Senate Palace is not necessarily the most graceful structure which brightens up the architectural landscape in the Revolution Square, but it does stand out as a landmark of the national history, even if only for being the final scene of the last public appearance of Nicolae Ceauşescu.

Name:
Senate Palace (Palatul Senatului)
Address:
1, Piaţa Revoluţiei, Bucharest, Romania

1, Piaţa Revoluţiei, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top