The Dimitrie Brândză Botanical Garden is a historical venue founded in 1860 under the auspices and by order of Alexandru Ioan Cuza and at the initiative of Carol Davila. The mission of the garden is to make the public aware about the vulnerability of the environment and to sensitize the public, by the teaching and cultural coordinates of its programs, to the ongoing issues related to the environment protection.

At its opening, the garden stretched on no more than 7 hectares, and it pertained, administratively speaking, to the Faculty of Medicine of Bucharest. It was located on the Cotroceni Street. In 1874, it became part of the Faculty of Sciences, and its headquarters was moved in the vicinity of the University. It was Dimitrie Brândză who initiated a project of developing the garden to its true potential, and its efforts finally paid off in 1884, when the garden moved back on the Cotroceni Street, where it is located even today.

The moving of the venue from one set to another caused consistent prejudice to the scientific material it used to own, but, all in all, what matters is at present the garden fills a surface of less then 17 hectares, it shelters some 10,000 species of plants and a herbarium of some 500,000 items. The garden proper is complemented by a museum (the Museum of the Botanical Garden) the scientific value of which lies in the fact it displays a collection of approximately 5,000 species of plants. The green houses of the garden stretch on a surface of about 4,000 square meters.

Name:
Dimitrie Brândză Botanical Garden (Grădina Botanică Dimitrie Brândză)
Address:
32, Şoseaua Cotroceni, Bucharest, Romania
Telephone:
0040 021 3181559
Email:
gradinabotanicabucuresti@yahoo.com
Website:
www.gradina-botanica.ro

32, Şoseaua Cotroceni, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top