The Cathedral of Saint Joseph is the most important Roman Catholic Church in Bucharest serving, at the same time, as cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archbishopric in Bucharest and Metropolitan Cathedral of the Roman Catholic Church in Romania. The crucial role of this place of worship in the religious life of the community of Roman Catholic believers in Bucharest and nationwide alike is, thus, understandable.

Built between 1873 and 1884 (the construction works took so long because of the War of Independence in 1877), the cathedral is an architectural monument erected by following the design of Friedrich Schmidt, combining elements typical of the Roman style with discreet Gothic touches. The inner highlights of the cathedral refer to the main white Carrara marble altar (built in Rome by following the designs of the same Friedrich Schmidt), to an impressive organ (the present organ was built in 1930 in order to replace the original 1892 Parisian organ) said to be one of the best in the country, to the Parisian chandelier, to the decorative pictorial works by Georg Roder and Fr. Elsner, as well as to the decorative plasterwork on the walls, columns and pillars.

Extensive restoration works have been carried out in time, since the church was repeatedly affected by earthquakes and by the bombings during World War Two. Plenty of original works have been, thus, lost, such as the stained glass windows initially created by a German company in Munich.

Name:
Cathedral of Saint Joseph (Catedrala Sfântul Iosif)
Address:
19, Strada General Henri Mathias Berthelot, Bucharest, Romania
Telephone:
0040 021 2015400
Website:
www.arcb.ro

19, Strada General Henri Mathias Berthelot, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top