The present Dobroteasa Parish Church was built in 1887 in a Byzantine style, and it is dedicated to the Annunciation and to two other patron saints: Saint Parascheva and Saint Filofteea. However, the history of the church goes much earlier than the late 19th century, which is one of the reasons why the edifice was declared a historical monument, after surviving the communist regime, when it was endangered by the authorities’ intention of pulling it down.

Thus, in all likelihood, the original Dobroteasa Church was made of wood and it was founded by a local nobleman, Dobrotă, and his wife, but due to the perishable nature of the material, it was replaced with a stone place of worship. Both of these two religious edifices were dedicated to the Annunciation. Saint Parascheva became the patron saint of the church only in the fourth decade of the 18th century, once the stone building was erected by order of Constatin Năsturel and his wife. Saint Filofteea was adopted as patron saint after the third and final reconstruction of the church, in the late 19th century.

Outside, the structure is overtopped by three steeples, the middle one being the largest of all. The interior is decorated, amongst others, with murals by Gheorghe Ioanind.

Name:
Dobroteasa Parish Church (Parohia Dobroteasa)
Address:
35 A, Blvd. Mircea Vodă, Bucharest, Romania
Telephone:
0040 021 3233702
Website:
dobroteasa.ro

35 A, Blvd. Mircea Vodă, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top