The present Oţetari Church dates back to 1757 when, during the reign of Constantin Mavrocordat, a stone church was erected in order to replace the former wooden structures (the original wooden church was built between 1680 and 1681, under Şerban Vodă Cantacuzino, whereas the second was erected some ten years later, during the reign of Constantin Brâncoveanu).

A less common architectural feature refers to the two onion-shaped domes of the church, a style typical of the Russian architecture. The outside decorative patrimony consists chiefly of the medallions created by Eugen Profeta, whereas the inner artistic highlights refer to the murals by one of the most celebrated Romanian painters, Gheorghe Tattarescu. Several centuries-old icons and the stained glass windows add to the inner artistic patrimony of the church.

The most prized scared object sheltered by the Oţetari Church refers to a phalanx of the mortal remains of Saint Haralambie. The church is, for that matter, dedicated to Saint Haralambie. It is also dedicated to Saint Apostles Michael and Gabriel, and to Saint Nicholas.

Name:
Oţetari Church (Biserica Oţetari)
Address:
4, Strada Oţetari, Bucharest, Romania
Website:
www.biserica-otetari.go.ro

4, Strada Oţetari, Bucharest, Romania

Go to top